Statement of Newtons's Laws
Newton's First Law:
- For no net force, an object at rest remains at rest.
- An object moving at constant velocity continues moving at constant velocity.
Newton's Second Law:
- ΣF = m a.
- In components: ΣFx = max
and ΣFy = may.
Equations of Motion/Kinematic Equations
For constant net force and motion beginning at t=0: ax= ΣFx/m
Then the equations of motion, or the kinematic equations, are:
- vx(t) = vx(0) + ax t
- x(t) = x(0) + vx(0) t +½ ax t2
- vx(t)2 = vx(0)2 + 2 ax [x(t) - x(0)]
- x(t) = x(0) +½ [v(0) + vx(t)] t
and similarly for the y-direction.
IMPORTANT: Keep the
x-component and y-component equations separate! The only attribute common to
both sets of equations is the time.