Graduate Program Admissions
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Online Application
- $70 application fee (payable through the online system by credit card only)
- Official Transcripts from every college or university attended.
- Three Letters of Reference.
- Official GRE General and Physics Subject Test scores. You should have scores sent directly to Boston University from ETS; Boston University's school code is 3087. Both general and physics subject scores are required.
- Personal Statement. Please write a brief essay describing your qualifications and objectives. Include any research activities, publications, and independent studies you have completed.
- Resume or CV.
International students must also include the following:
- Certified copies and official English translations of all records of academic achievement (e.g. transcripts) from each college or university attended.
- Signed International Student Data Form and appropriate financial and visa documentation. Please visit this link for more information.
- Official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language - TOEFL. A minimum score of 600 (paper based test), internet-based test (IBT): Reading section – 21; Listening section – 18; Speaking section – 23; Writing section – 22
In accordance with university policy, applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements of English proficiency are not eligible for admission. The TOEFL requirement is waived only if you have received, or expect to receive, an undergraduate or graduate degree from a college or university in any of the following countries prior to enrollment at BU: the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, or Ireland. In addition to the TOEFL, the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is also accepted as proof of English proficiency; a band score of 7.0 is required for admission with a teaching fellowship.
For more detailed information about the Boston University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the general admissions process, please refer to the Graduate School Bulletin.
Application deadline (for fall admission): December 15th.
Supplemental material deadline (recommendation letters, test scores, and transcripts): January 1st.
For administrative questions please contact our Graduate Program Coordinator, Mirtha Cabello.
Please refer to the Graduate School's Admissions page for more info.